Shipwreck in the Central Mediterranean
Dear European Border and Coast Guard Agency,
On 21 and 22 April 2021, up to 130 people drowned at sea after being left to die, with no search and rescue operation being conducted or coordinated in order to save their lives.
The unfolding of the events - including the role played by Frontex - have been described here: https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve…; here: https://www.euronews.com/2021/04/25/res…; and here: https://alarmphone.org/en/2021/04/22/co…
To this regard, under the right of access to documents in the EU treaties, as developed in Regulation 1049/2001, we are requesting the following documents:
1. All Serious Incident Reports filed on 21 and 22 April 2021.
2. For 21 and 22 April 2021, with regard to Frontex’s operational activities in the Central Mediterranean:
- all Technical Equipment Mission Reports;
- all ICC Daily reports and/or JCB Minutes; and
- all Daily reporting packages.
3. For all assets deployed by Frontex in the Central Mediterranean, and involved in the above-mentioned events:
- all positions logged during 21 and 22 April 2021;
- all footage gathered during 21 and 22 April.
4. All correspondence issued and received by Frontex during 21 and 22 April with regards to, or mentioning the above-mentioned boat in distress. Please note that:
- this includes, but is not limited to, all correspondence exchanged with Italian and Maltese authorities and actors,Libyan actors, NGO and civil society actors such as Alarm Phone, and any private actors such as merchant vessels; as well as Frontex internal correspondence;
- this includes, but is not limited to, all e-mails (including all attachments), messages and notifications exchanged, as well as all phone call logs.
5. For the Frontex Press Office:
- all correspondence - including, but not limited to, all e-mails, messages, notes, letters, phone call logs, audiovisual material, and all attachments - received or sent during from 21 April 2021 to date, with regards to the above-mentioned event in the Central Mediterranean. This includes, but is not limited to, all communications among the Frontex Press Office, with other Frontex units, and with external parties.
- all documents exchanged - including draft statements, background notes, or any other document mentioning or describing the above-mentioned event in the Central Mediterranean - issued and/or received by the Frontex Press Office from 21 April 2021 to date.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any doubts or questions in regards to this request.
Please also note that, in line with the European Ombudsman's decision in case 104/2020/EWM, we hereby express our wish to receive all responses and documents related to this request via this e-mail address only and not through the Frontex portal. We will not accept a notification to this e-mail address, but only the actual responses. Thank you in advance.
<< Adresse entfernt >>