Documents regarding Ioannis Lagos
Dear European Parliament,
Under the right of access to documents in the EU treaties, as developed in Regulation 1049/2001, we are requesting the following documents:
1. Any and all documents regarding or related to the request for waiver of the immunity of Ioannis Lagos.
This includes, but is not limited to:
a) For any and all meetings held by the European Parliament Committee on Legal Affairs in which the request for waiver was discussed or mentioned: all records of the aforementioned meetings. This may include, but not necessarily limited to, minutes of the meetings, verbatim reports of the meetings, transcripts etc., that would provide a record of the proceedings, as well as any outcomes.
b) All documents created or received by the Legal Affairs Committee for the purpose and/or in the context of these discussions, and/or distributed among the attendees before or during the course of these meetings. This may include, but is not limited to, briefings or background notes, documents presented by interested parties (such as Ioannis Lagos), or any relevant legal assessments.
c) All correspondence – including, but not limited to, letters, e-mails, and any attachments – regarding, related to, or mentioning the request for waiver of the immunity of Ioannis Lagos and the subsequent deliberations.
d) Every document in Committee dossier JURI/9/04660.
Please note that I am interested in all documents from 20 October 2020 to date.
2. Any and all documents regarding or related to the allowances granted to Ioannis Lagos by the European Parliament from 20 October 2020 to date. We are interested in particular in:
- Travel expenses, including for travel, accommodation and related expenses;
- Daily allowance (or “subsistence allowance”);
- General expenditure allowance, as well as reimbursements of professional training costs for language and IT costs; and
- Expenses related to salaries, relating to accredited as well as local parliamentary assistants.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- all applications, receipts, expenses forms, tickets, odometer readings, invoices and/or bills submitted by Ioannis Lagos in relation to these allowances;
- all documents related to or regarding the reimbursement of these allowances; and
- all correspondence with Ioannis Lagos’ office, including internal correspondence, as well as correspondence with third parties regarding these allowances, and correspondence with the Parliament’s administration services.
To this regard, we would like to argue that there is an undeniable public interest in the disclosure of the requested documents. Ioannis Lagos’ activity as a Member of the European Parliament, as well as the process of waiving his immunity, has attracted the attention of international media, including the New York Times, as well as international human rights organisations, such as Human Rights Watch.  
While public scrutiny and accountability of the expenses of any publicly-elected Member of the European Parliament should be the most basic of standards in any democracy, this case entails particular importance since Ioannis Lagos has been found guilty of one major crime (membership and leadership of a criminal organisation) and two smaller offences in Greece, and sentenced to a 13 years and 8 months in prison.
For a period of six months since his conviction as a criminal to date, Ioannis Lagos has continued to receive allowances from the European Parliament, including for travel. It is worth stating that Mr Lagos has previously stated to the press that, in the case his immunity would be revoked by the Parliament, he was “planning to flee to a “European country” where his rights would be protected”. 
In this context, it is essential for the public to be able to scrutinise Mr Lagos’ expenses for the period ranging from his conviction to the waiving of his immunity, in order to guarantee that European Parliament resources were not used to perpetuate sentenced criminal activity, or to evade compliance with a prison sentence dictated by an EU Member State court.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any doubts or questions in regards to this request.
Thank you in advance.
<< Adresse entfernt >>